Telephone 01728 860213
E-Mail office@debenhamhigh.co.uk
Postcode IP14 6BL

Debenham High School

Debenham High School

Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School Life at Debenham High School

Health and Social Care

Exam Board: Edexcel

Course: BTEC First Award in Health and Social Care

Teacher of Health and Social Care: Mrs V. Hyland

 

INTRODUCTION

This course will be of particular interest to those whose eventual aim is to work in the Health, Social Care or Early Years Industries. Students will gain a grounding in the essential skills and knowledge crucial to this area of study, giving students the opportunity to build on these afterwards

 

YEAR 10 AND 11 ONLY

Content

The course will be made up of 3 modules exploring a wide range of issues affecting the health and social care industries.

 

Component 1:

Human Lifespan Development

How do people grow and develop throughout their lives? How can factors such as lifestyle choices, relationships and life events affect your growth and development?

Internal Assessment through written assignments.

Component 2:

Health and Social Care Services and Values

What is good practice in health and social care? What ensures that good practice is applied to support individuals who use health and social care services? Health and social care values underpin good practice within the sector.

Internal Assessment through written assignments.

Component 3:

Health and Wellbeing

Have you considered how lifestyle affects your health and wellbeing?

This component explores the factors that affect health and wellbeing, how to interpret health indicators and how to implement person-centred health and wellbeing improvement plans.

External assessment through written examination in January or June of Year 11.


Assessment
 

There is one external examination which makes up 40% of the qualification. The remaining 60% is assessed internally through a series of written assignments. The assignments are collated into a portfolio.  The construction of a portfolio encourages students to develop strong organisational skills and to develop their ability to be independent learners and researchers

Students may be awarded either a Level 1 or Level 2 qualification. The grading is as follows:

Level 1 Pass (equivalent to Level 1.25 GCSE grade)

Level 1 Merit (equivalent to Level 2 GCSE grade)

Level 1 Distinction (equivalent to Level 3 GCSE grade)

Level 2 Pass (equivalent to Level 4 GCSE grade)

Level 2 Merit (equivalent to Level 5.5 GCSE grade)

Level 2 Distinction (equivalent to Level 7 GCSE grade)

Level 2 Distinction* (equivalent to an Level 8.5 GCSE grade)

 

What can I do next with Health and Social Care?

The qualification can lead to level three Health and Social Care courses at many post-16 providers. It can also be a starting point for jobs in the care services such as Nursing, Social Worker, Child Care, Nursery Nurse or Care Assistant.